Codarts is an international university firmly rooted in the fabric of Rotterdam offering high-quality Bachelor and Masters programmes in the fields of music, music theatre, dance, circus, music and dance education, and music and dance therapy.
Diversity, interdisciplinarity and sustainability are strong values at Codarts and we are part of national and international cultural networks. Innovations in education and research are explored in the educational collaboration I (RASL) - with Erasmus University Rotterdam, Willem de Kooning Academy/Hogeschool Rotterdam and Codarts, as well as the award winning Student Life initiative.
Codarts has over 1,000 students, of about 65 nationalities, and about 420 staff members.
The Production Audio Visual department is looking for a group of Students to join the:
Production Crew (Student Job)
From 1st September 2023 until the end of August 2024
Zero hour contract
Possible extension up to a maximum of 2 years!
As a Student member of the Production Crew, you can develop technical production skills or skills for creative and logistical production. We seek students who want to further their knowledge in production, theatre technique, sound, light, and video tech, along with stage management processes, Front of House, floor management and working with transport. Depending on your skill set and direction you will go, there is training available for the following:
- Live audio
- Studio mixing
- Camera work
- Setting up a live stream
- Using a light desk
- Reading a light plan and designing lights
- What is stage management and floor management
- Transport coordination
- Logistics, loading/unloading
- Building sets, orchestras, bands, theatres, etc.
- Printing and organising scores for ensembles and orchestras
- Setting up a backline or moving instruments such as percussion, Harps, Double basses from one place to another.
You will be working very closely with various Codarts productions and you will be a member of the Production Audio Visual team. All tasks and instruction for your work will be given by the head of production, AV Producers and external guests from the work field.
As Codarts has more than 900 productions through the year at various locations, your work week won’t be your typical office 9-5 job!
What you will be doing:
- Helping to set up the orchestra.
- Driving the truck or being an assistant to driving the truck.
- Helping to set up band set ups.
- Reading and making schedules.
- Working at big festivals and in the project weeks to support the technical crew.
- Cleaning and re-setting the theatre halls of Codarts.
- Each week you will have a different set of tasks. For example:
- Cleaning and testing equipment.
- Making recordings and helping students with their own recordings.
- Working on a production on location or at Codarts.
- Setting up live-streams or being a member of the camera crew.
- Working at different departments: Dance, Circus, Music (Jazz, Pop, World Music and Classical Music) and Music Theatre.
- Helping with the concerts to welcome public and setting changes during all types of projects Codarts wide.
- Collecting tickets and being part of the door control during large scale events.
A star AV-Producer student is:
- studying at Codarts, any department;
- interested to dive deeper into the understanding of production and audio visuals;
- ready to try out new skills with a positive attitude;
- hard-working and not afraid of long hours when required;
- punctual and very communicative;
- a team player and likes to take initiative;
- likes to solve problems;
- not afraid of doing time-consuming jobs such as cleaning or filing documents when needed.
- have a technical understanding from previous work, projects, or studies. (this is not a requirement, this is a training programme, but it is good for us to know).
- Have a drivers license.
Conditions of employment:
- Flexible working conditions;
- Zero hour contract - you choose when to work.
- Salary of € 14,02 gros per hour.
- Possible to work up to a max of 2 years at Codarts.
- Holiday allowance.
- Year end benefit.
- Training in all aspects of the production and theatre process.
- To be involved in the development of production and audio visual process within Codarts.
- To be part of a fun team.
For further information please contact Adrián Bartolome Manzanos via firstname.lastname@example.org
How to apply:
Send the following to email@example.com:
- One motivation letter in pdf-format. This contains max 150 words. Please include any experience you have had in production or any technical skills you may have.
- Your general CV in pdf-format with relevant information.
The deadline for application is May 7, 2023.
- Interview round 1: May 15, either live or via Zoom. This is a general talk.
- Interview round 2: May 22, ideally live in person. This is where we will test you on certain thought processes and practical questions.
To guarantee safety within the educational system, a Certificate of Good Conduct (VOG) is requested from all staff members.
Codarts strives to have a diverse workforce. In the event of equal suitability, preference will be given to the candidate who strengthens the diversity within our organization.