Do you enjoy passing on your love of music to others? Do you wish to master your instrument at the highest possible level? In our study programme Music in Education you can develop both talents. Watch our video here (Dutch):
A top musician as well as a creative teacher with a personal vision. That is what you will be after four years of study. You take intensive lessons on your own instrument and you develop your personal vision on education in a mostly practical manner.
Through annual internships, practical projects and by creating educational material. In these practical projects you will often collaborate with other cultural organisations and institutes in Rotterdam. You organise concerts, you coach bands and create a musical. The section Music in Education has many connections in Rotterdam.
Did you already finish a study at a conservatory and want to become a music teacher? Take a look at the ‘shortened study path’.Read more
The first year (propaedeutic) is a broad introductory year. You are introduced to many aspects that are important in your future profession.
- You learn more about a specific target group: young children. You do an internship in primary education.
- You work hard at mastering your own instrument. You also begin to learn to play other instruments (voice, percussion, drums, guitar and keyboards).
- The ‘musical’ and the ‘educational’ side are given equal attention in both theory and practice.
- During all four years of the programme you follow modules in the fields of new media and producing (home recording).
In the second year you go ‘deeper’. You continue the subjects from the first year and follow a number of new modules. You begin to shape your personality as a teacher and a musician.
- You learn more about a specific target group: youngsters. You do an internship in secondary education.
- New in Year 2: modules about entrepreneurship and drama classes. In these drama classes you work on your personality as a teacher and a musician.
- You further develop your instrumental skills, also in singing, percussion, drums, guitar and keyboards. At the end of the school year we will assess how you play together with others in a band.
In the third year you pick a specialisation. Your independence as a teacher, a musician and entrepreneur becomes more important. You continue the music and education subjects from the first two years and you follow a number of new modules.
- You pick a specialisation: young children, secondary education or out-of-school musical education.
- You develop teaching programmes and you learn how to conduct.
- Together with fellow students you create a musical. You do everything yourself: from composing to marketing/PR. You will perform this musical in a theatre in your fourth year.
- You conclude your practical music subjects (main instrument, singing, percussion, drums, guitar and keyboards) with a concert in the city.
By graduating, you prove that you are an independent teacher with all the required starting qualifications, and also that you are a proficient musician and entrepreneur.
- You conclude all subjects in music in education.
- You follow a minor. You can choose from the entire range of musical subjects at Codarts.
- You do a graduation research, which consists of three elements: research of literature, practical research (including interviews) and an educational product as a result of this research. For instance, a teaching tool for the iPad.
- Together with fellow students, you have created a musical (see Year 3). As a fourth-year student you take the stage as a performing artist. (For example, at the Hofpleintheater or Theater Zuidplein in Rotterdam.)
The Bachelor of Music in Education is a full-time programme. If you have already completed an instrumental conservatory education (for example, the Bachelor of Music) in full or for a large part, it is possible to obtain the diploma Music in Education at an accelerated pace.
Following an intake assessment, we jointly look at which components still need to be followed in order to obtain the competencies of the national Music in Education training profile.
In most cases you will follow physical education one day a week and you will also work in the professional field; you will learn through the combination of theory and practice. You will receive guidance from our experts.Read less