Each programme has its own admission procedure with accompanying selection criteria and supplementary requirements. To be admitted to the Master Music Therapy at Codarts:
- a specific entrance audition must be passed,
- you should be in possession of a bachelor diploma, or equivalent,
- you must have a minimum of two years work experience after having acquired the bachelor degree.
In order to apply for the music therapy audition candidates:
- need to register at Studielink (https://www.codarts.nl/en/admission-music-therapy/);
- will receive an email after registration via Studielink with the login and link to Osiris Application;
- need to make the registration complete via Osiris Application;
- need to upload a passport picture in Osiris Application;
- need to upload a cv and motivation in English in Osiris Application;
- need to provide a (YouTube)link of a video for the preselection in Osiris Application, in order to have a chance of being invited to the group – and individual music audition;
- need to have a bachelor’s degree (or equivalent, more information below). Only applicable for candidates who have been awarded a study place. After receiving the enrolment package, you will be asked to send in your diploma.
The audition procedure consists of the following elements:
1. a. pre-selection on work experience (min. 2 years after the Bachelor degree);
1. b. pre-selection via video (sending in YouTube-link).
2. Group audition at Codarts, Rotterdam
3. Online intake interview
4. English Language Proficiency
Non-Dutch students (unless they hold a Dutch or UK bachelor’s degree) need to show proof of English language proficiency. Codarts asks for the level of IELTS Academic 6.0. The candidate needs to produce documents that show the adequate level of English or take a test offered by Codarts after admittance to the programme.
Ad 1a Working experience / cv
We select candidates with a certain amount of life and work experience either professionally, or as a volunteer, preferably in music and/or social services, after having acquired the BA degree. You can provide a description of the content and breadth of this work experience in your CV. In case of unclarity or doubts contact will be sought.
Ad 1a Motivation letter
Write a clear explanation of what motivates your interest in the programme. This motivation letter should not exceed 500 words (approximately one A4 page) and must be written in English. The letter should explain why you want to study music therapy, and how you see music has influenced your own (mental) health, as well as the health of others. The letter should explain:
- how you have come to wish to become a music therapist;
- how this connects with your background in music and other experience;
- what your hopes and expectations for the future are regarding music therapy;
- anything else you consider relevant for the application.
This letter will give us a good sense of how well you can express yourself (in English) and is an essential part of the selection procedure.
Ad 1b Preselection via video
We ask everyone to do a preselection based on music by providing a link of a video with some music assignments. This will spare you unnecessary travel costs and help us manage the audition procedures efficiently. Upload the link of your YouTube video before March 14the, 2024, onto Osiris Application. Based on this video, we will invite you (or not) for the group audition.
Assignments for preselection
There are 3 short assignments for your short video, which is to be no longer than 5 minutes in total:
1. A free improvisation on instrument of choice. Not a composition but spontaneous music improvisation. Max. 2 minutes;
2. Two short phrase pieces in different styles (anything from Classic style to Popular style / Contemporary Western music / Non-Western music) on your 1st instrument. Max 2 minutes;
3. Piano/Guitar: Chord symbols: 1 song integrating melody and accompaniment and/or singing while accompanying yourself. Max 2 minutes.
The group audition date is on April 20th, 2024, at Codarts, Rotterdam. You will be invited to participate after a positive result of the pre (video) selection.
Music skills required
Have advanced musical skills, abilities and knowledge. Be familiar with music improvisation and be able to communicate non-verbally through music. This should show in:
- a high level of practical and flexible musicianship demonstrated on your first instrument, preferably on a second instrument, and on keyboard or accompanying instrument;
- in performance qualities, artistic consciousness and musical communication skills;
- a broad music vocabulary, in different styles and genres;
- improvisation skills on your first instrument, with voice and in accompanying;
- for single line instrumentalists or singers, sufficient skills to be able to provide harmonic support on guitar or piano.
What to expect of the group music improvisation audition?
The audition consists of a group improvisation of a 60 minutes music improvisation workshop with specific assignments. Candidates interact and improvise on the spot.
- Focusing on musical interaction, attunement and non-verbal communication skills and verbal reflections;
- Solo-Duo improvisations and verbal reflections;
- Use of own instrument and various small percussion instruments.
If the group music audition proved to be satisfactory candidates will be invited for an online intake interview. This will take place in May or June 2024 (dates to be announced).
The intake interview allows us to ask you questions about work and education, your understanding of music and its effect on self and others. And furthermore, to discuss some personal issues that may have been raised in your motivational letter, music audition or life story which could be of influence in following the programme. To avoid disappointments, we also want to hear from candidates what their expectations of the programme are and how they see music therapy as a profession.
To prepare for the intake interview we request that you write approximately a thousand words (two A4 pages), describing the story of your life. Candidates need to send this in no later than one week before the interview takes place.
Only after the interview receives a positive evaluation, together with the components of the music audition you will be notified that you are admissible for the Master of Arts Therapies, specialisation Music Therapy at Codarts, Univerity of the Arts.
Have a diploma from a (preferably) relevant university course (bachelor’s or equivalent); for example, a bachelor’s in music or music in education, a bachelor’s in music therapy or a bachelor’s in the areas of social services, health care or psychology. If the diploma is not directly relevant, the CV and motivation letter need to show relevance.
If not in possession of a Bachelor in Music
The minimum level we expect a candidate to have is:
Musical skills equivalent to Grade 8 for your 1st instrument, grade 6 for your 2nd instrument.
- As in other international master programmes in music therapy, the level exams of the ABRSM are used as a standard (not as a requirement) for advanced musical skills.
Special notice to non-EU candidates Non-EU candidates should know that because of the part-time status of the programme, the Dutch government does not grant study permits to non-EU citizens (EU for this rule includes Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Suriname or Switzerland). If a person from for instance the USA is already in the Netherlands because of, work or partnership, and a residency permit was given on that basis, study will be possible.
Final results will be communicated end of June 2024.
from 1 October 2023
March 14th, 2024
April 20th, 2024