These people preceded you… Click here for an overview of theatre-, musical- and television productions during season 2017-2018 featuring Codarts-alumni!
Would you like to play the leading part in a musical, or rather be an original, creative performer in a music theatre production? Or both? At Codarts Music Theatre you can!
We offer a study programme in which singing, theatre and music are inextricably linked. As only school in the Netherlands the integration of the three is our main subject! Where you have to be your own smart self. Where you are in close contact with teachers and fellow students. Where you are trained to become an independent professional in a way that leaves room for your personal talent on your path to the professional field.
After the second year you specialise in either Musical Theatre or Music Theatre.
In both departments you graduate with a solo concert, a paper, a group performance and the Showcase: all demonstrations of your unique talents, which together make up the portfolio of your possibilities.Read more
The first year (propaedeutic) is a broad introductory year. You learn about various aspects that are important to your future profession. These include:
- Lessons in singing, acting and dancing.
- Musical interpretation and intergration.
- You study music theory, solfège, harmony at the piano, musical and theatre history, entrepreneurship and much more.
- You work at various styles in music, dance and acting.
- You are not only judged by the results but also by your process and development.
The second year has an exploratory nature. Important elements are:
- An exploration of the specialisations Musical Theatre and Music Theatre. At the end of the year you make a choice. A combination of both is also possible, depending on your wishes and the advice of the educational team.
- The Character Research: in this module you learn how to shape a musical character by using your voice and physique. You integrate musicality, voice, interpretation and presentation to create a credible character.
- ‘Kul tot Cult’: a representation created of several studies: text to theater, musical styles, ensemble pieces, physical theater and making acts. How do the disciplines influence each other and what’s the added value of this integration?
You are trained to become a musical performer in a broad theatrical circuit: from member of an ensemble to leading character, from big to small musical productions, both here and abroad. Codarts alumni have played parts and leading characters in productions such as Miss Saigon, Tanz der Vampire, Mamma Mia, Sky and Hair.
You are trained to become a performing ‘singer-Plus’. You find your way in music and music theatre productions or create your own work. You maintain a dialogue with composers, theatre makers and musicians. Codarts alumni have performed in productions of Kwatta Theater, Theater Terra, Ro Theater, Club Gewalt or Hemels Vallen, Pips Lab.
In the third year you concentrate on your specialisation (Musical Theatre of Music Theatre). Your independence as a performer becomes more important.
- You do a solo presentation in what is called an Integration Concert. This combines the elements of singing, acting and dancing. Not separate, but integrated.
- You take part in a group production that suits your specialisation. Examples of this kind of productions are : Spring Awakening and Antigone.
- You take part in the Showcase. This is a full evening’s music theatre and musical performance in which you sing, dance and act before a full house.
- This year you will collaborate with music theatre makers/coaches from outside Codarts for the first time.
By graduating you demonstrate that you are a complete vocal performer. You are capable of integrating singing, dancing and acting in your performances at a high level.
- You present yourself as an artist in a so-called Theatrical Concert. You decide the content of this concept, together with a coach of your choice.
- You take part in a group production that suits your specialisation.
- You take part in the Showcase (see Year 3).
- You do a graduation research. The subject is up to you.
- You can do an internship, for example at Theater Terra, Stage Entertainment, Ro Theater, Homemade Productions and Veenfabriek.
- In the classes you take the elements of singing, acting and dance/motion/physique are combined.
- We only judge the results.
Many Codarts alumni are famous actors or musical artists now:
- Cecila Adoree (Nieuwe Tijden)
- Club Gewalt (speelden op o.a. Lowlands en de Parade)
- Fleur Alders (Tanz der Vampire)
- Jip Bartels (Hair)
- Lucas Schilperoort (Hair)
- Jochem Smit (Razend)
- Lisse Knaapen (Sky, Intouchables)
- Marijn Bellaard (Hemels Vallen)
- Noortje Herlaar (Knielen op een bed violen, Mary Poppins)
- Renée de Gruijl (Grease, Rent)
- Sanne den Besten (Mamma Mia West End)