Tips for music theory
Below you'll find tips that help you prepare the music-theoretical part of your audition.
- Musical hearing is something you can train and develop, just like playing an instrument. Find a teacher who can give you lessons in at sight singing, reading rhythms, recognising chords etc. Make sure that your teacher is well acquainted with the admission requirements at Codarts.
- Work with your instrument / singing teacher at subjects related to music theory such as reading rhythms, reading and playing chord schemes, repeating melodies by ear, either singing, playing or writing down, playing a chordal accompaniment to a melody by ear.
- During the Open Days at Codarts (in January / February of each year) you can sit a mock entrance exam with a theory teacher of your department. You will be given feedback on your skills, and tips for further preparation.
- There are several books, websites and programs to help you train your music theory and your musical ear.
To mention a few:
- Tipboek Muziek op papier, H. Pinksterboer
- http://www.musictheory.net/ (website)
- http://www.oscarvandillen.com/tools_for_students/ (website)
- Virtual Music School – Fundamentals (DVD / website) (http://www.virtualmusicschool.org/fundamentals-dvd.html)
- http://www.earmaster.com/ (software)