Rotterdam is becoming more and more popular. Therefore it is wise to find a place to live as soon as possible.

How do I find accommodation?

Rotterdam is becoming more and more popular. Therefore it is wise to find a place to live as soon as possible, we advise May/June. There’s hardly a campus system in the Netherlands and students are responsible for their own housing. The possibilities for Codarts to arrange housing for students either directly or indirectly are very limited.

Being able to find a room partly depends on having a local social network. This is of course hard to initiate and manage from abroad. The longer you stay in Rotterdam and the more people you will get to know, the easier it gets to find housing.

It’s good to know that in the Netherlands there is a short-supply of studios and small apartments. Most accommodation in Rotterdam is by means of a flat share, whereby all flat mates have their own bedroom but share the bathroom, toilet, kitchen and (when applicable) the living room. The Netherlands is a modern and liberal society so men and women do live together in such flat shares (if you prefer not to, make this known).

Recommended areas to find a room close to Codarts Rotterdam are : Blijdorp, Centrum, Kralingen, West, Noord, Delfshaven / Coolhaven.

Housing Anywhere 

Are you still looking for a room for your stay in our city?

Codarts has partnered with Housing Anywhere, the international booking platform for student accommodation.

To help you find and book your new home abroad, we warmly recommend you to sign up for the Housing Anywhere Accommodation Service. Housing Anywhere has specialized on helping international students find and book their new room abroad, and is doing that for over 150 universities worldwide.

This service is free to use for you, you are not obliged to book any of the suggested rooms.

Fill in the form and start receiving notifications on any available student rooms right away.

Codarts houses
As stated, Codarts is very limited in arranging housing for students. However, we try to help our students wherever we can. We have found a reliable partner in RoomPlaza.com, who offer good and affordable flat share rooms near Codarts-locations.

Thanks to this cooperation we can offer 1st year and exchange students a small number of fully furnished rooms. Please note that this is only for the first year. After this we expect you to be able to find something else yourself, and make room for new incoming students. You can sign up for these rooms here.

Unfortunately, we are unable to offer rooms to all of our 1st year students. Students unable to make use of these offered rooms will have to find alternative housing themselves. We have listed valuable housing tips on this site to give you more information about other housing options in Rotterdam.

Rental agreements
There are many websites offering and promising you their best services. Please be aware of the fact that not all agents or landlords can be trusted. Scams and illegal housing are part of reality. If you have any doubts concerning your rental agreement or strange fees, please contact the Codarts student counselor. Please read the contract tips about what to look for in a contract before signing.

Housing is not cheap! The rents vary between € 350,- and € 500,- and additional costs are not always included! Read more about additional costs in the document additional costs.

Housing permit
To live in certain neighborhoods in Rotterdam you need a housing permit (HVV). This means that as a tenant you need permission to make use of a rental house.

It concerns the following neighborhoods: Carnisse, Hillesluis, Oud Charlois, Bloemhof, Tarwewijk and the following streets in Delfshaven: Grote Visserijstraat, Mathenesserdijk, Mathenesserweg, Schiedamseweg, Willem Buytewechstraat, Vierambachtstraat, ‘s-Gravendijkwal, 1e Middellandstraat, 2e Middellandstraat and Middellandplein. More information about this can be found on the website of the gemeente Rotterdam. Are you renting a house for which you will need a housing permit? Please make sure to contact the international office before the beginning of the school year. They can help you with this.