Requirements Master dance therapy
Please note: In addition to your application through Studielink, you need to send your CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application: 1st of October – 1st of April 2018.
In order to be considered for admission to the Master of Arts Therapies, specialisation dance therapy, you must:
- Have a diploma from (preferably) a relevant university programme (bachelor’s); for example, a bachelor’s in dance or dance in education, a bachelor’s in dance movement therapy or a bachelor’s in the areas of social services, health care or movement and therapy, such as psychology or physical therapy. If the diploma is not directly relevant, the CV and motivation letter need to show relevance.
- Be able to move well, using a broad movement vocabulary and be able to communicate and observe on a non verbal level . These skills will be evaluated in a movement audition that consists of a two hour workshop-like improvisation class. Candidates are not so much evaluated on their technical skills as on their capability for non-verbal interaction and furthermore coordination, articulation, musicality, use of space, ability to use different styles of movement, originality, expressivity, ability to develop an improvisation task, and so forth.
- Have relevant work experience, either professionally, or as a volunteer, in the area of dance and/or social services (two years minimum after having acquired a bachelor degree). You can provide a description of the content and breadth of this work experience in your CV (that should contain detailed information about your education, your dance – and work experience).
- Have basic knowledge of psychology/psychotherapy, research methodologies and preferably some experience in personal therapy.
- Write a clear explanation of what motivates your interest in the programme. This motivation letter should not exceed 500 words (approximately one A4 page) and must be written in English. The letter should explain:
– how you have come to wish to become a dance therapist;
– how this connects with your background in dance and other experience;
– what your hopes and expectations for the future are;
– anything else you consider relevant for the application.
- Be invited for an intake interview after the movement audition. If your application is positively evaluated on the preceding five points, you will be invited to take part in an interview. In preparation for this interview, we request that you write a thousand words approximately (two A4 pages) describing the course/story of your life. In case you have travelled from abroad to audition we will try to conduct the interview the same day or the next (in which case you need to send the course of life before the movement audition).
The intake interview allows us to ask you questions about work and education, discuss some personal issues that may have been raised in your motivational letter, movement audition or life story which could be of influence in following the programme. In order to avoid disappointments, we also want to hear from candidates what their expectations are and how they see dance therapy as a profession. Discussing dance therapy literature can be part of this interview as well.
Only after this interview receives a positive evaluation, the candidate will be notified that he/she has been accepted for the Master of Arts Therapies at Codarts.
Codarts upholds the code of conduct of the Higher Education behavioural code national committee. An admission requirement for foreign students is that they should have sufficient mastery of the English language. Codarts upholds the norm of a minimum of 5.5 at IELTS level (‘Academic Training’) or a comparable norm. The student can produce documents from which it can be seen that he possesses the right level, or take a test.
Please note that the Dutch government does not grant study permits to non EU citizens because of the part-time status of the programme, (EU for this rule includes Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Suriname or Switzerland). If a person from for instance the USA, China, South America etc. is already here because, for instance, work or partnership, and a residency permit was given on that basis, study will be possible.