Introduction to Dance Therapy (Oct 2019)
The Codarts’ Dance Therapy Master offers a 5 day intensive introduction course in dance therapy which will consist of experiential work and lectures on different approaches to dance therapy. This will take place Monday October 21 - Friday October 25, 2019.
This introduction is open to anyone with an interest in dance therapy and with a willingness to physically engage and explore. The introduction can be taken as continuous professional education (participants can have the introduction course accredited at the ‘Register Vaktherapie’) and is strongly advised for people seriously considering to apply for the Master in Dance Therapy at Codarts. It is also open to everyone interested to learn more about dance therapy and curious to explore personal processes.
The introduction provides professionals with the opportunity to experience dance therapy, explore whether continuing into a Dance Therapy master is desirable and/or can enrich and deepen one’s own profession. The participant acquires basic knowledge of dance therapeutic methods and receives information about the current professional practice. The introduction provides a strong basis for the Master in Dance Therapy offered at Codarts, which will start with a new cohort in September 2018. The highly skilled and experienced tutors in this introduction are members of our faculty.
The introduction has been described by former participants as a journey full of discoveries and as the Power of Dance:
- “A way to achieve a deeper and clear understanding of Dance Therapy which helped to make a choice about starting the Master”;
- “Intensive, powerful, inspirational, multi-faceted and also reflective for one’s personal life”.
- “ The programme is interesting, inspiring, subtle and the tutors extremely experienced.”
- “Renowned dance therapists are facilitating the group by offering a unique perspective on what dance therapy is and how we can use it to help people deal with psychopathology, emotional pain, fear and emotions”.
How to register
- To register for this introduction, you will fill out the online registration form.
- The fee is € 300,-. For Codarts alumni the fee is € 200,-. A reader is included in the fee, lunch is not. Payment instructions will be sent via e-mail once you have registered via the online application form.
- The maximum number of participants is 24. Final placement will be determined by the order in which registrations are received and will only be definitive once we have received the payment. Participants will be sent notice of received payment.
- After participation of the entire programme a certificate of participation will be handed out. Take note, that the certificate is not a qualification to practice, and does not guarantee acceptance into the master.
- Classes are from 10.00 – 17.00 hrs, with a lunch break from 13.00 – 14.00 hrs.
- The Introduction will take place at ‘Kruisplein 26, 3012CC, Rotterdam’, which is a 3 minute walk from Rotterdam Central Station.
Day 1: Introduction in basic dance therapy theory and methods
Tutor: Simone Kleinlooh (Coordinator Dance Therapy programme / Tutor)
Basic dance therapy theory and methods are discussed and explored in which the importance of play, the ‘not knowing stance’, embodied presence and empathic reflection in (therapeutic) relationships are explored.
Day 2: Understanding one’s own dance
Tutor: Katharina Conradi
An introduction into understanding of dance as a creative wheel for expression and transformation, working with one’s own creative potential in dance and recognising personal themes.
Day 3: The voice on the move
Tutor: Renate Hoenselaar (Dance Therapy Supervisor / Chair Advisory Committee)
Our voice is part of our body. This day the focus will be on the perception of your own voice in your body: where is your voice, how to bring it into space? What happens when your dance and voice come together? What happens to your body and dance as the sounds of others influence you? Through your own movement, the movement of others, with hands-on external impulses and playful exercises, a different voice is created. And the voice creates a different body awareness and dance.
Day 4: Working with the group
Tutor: Jeannette Mac Donald (Dance Therapy Tutor / Group Process Facilitator)
By now the group will have spent some time working together: individually, in dyads, small groups and also in one large group. The understanding about the many groups we are part of throughout our lives is an important part of our training. This day will offer a brief insight into this aspect of the introduction; we will not only learn about our own behaviour in groups, but also how to manage group processes in our work as professional DMTs. This day will be a personal adventure about moving and being moved. You are advised to spend some time for reflection before attending. Where do you fit in in this group? What would you like to change about this group if it were possible? How do you feel about the last few days that you have spent together?
Day 5: Exploring professional identity
Tutor: Simone Kleinlooh (Coordinator Dance Therapy Programme / Tutor)
During this last day we will explore (verbally and non-verbally) our personal and professional identity (personal dance and movement profile) in relation to the past week and the dance therapy profession. There will be time for discussion and questions concerning the profession/practice and the master programme.
The tutors are Faculty members of Codarts’ Dance Therapy Master Programme. For details on their biographies see our study guide: www.codarts.nl/study-guide-dance-therapy/