Friends of codarts
The Friends Foundation feels that professional arts education in general and Codarts with all its talented students in particular deserve support.
Investing in the Future
To invest in extraordinary talents at an institute for art education means to realise the highest possible return on investment within the arts. For you as well. After all, by financially supporting an art student, you directly contribute to the development—and therefore to the future—of one artist in particular and of the arts in general. And as a Friend of Codarts University for the Arts in Rotterdam you will also have the opportunity of seeing and hearing extraordinary music, dance and circus talents at work during performances or concerts and follow them on their way to realising their ultimate dream: to become a musician, dancer or circus artist.
Codarts is an international university located in the heart of Rotterdam, providing high-quality art education in the fields of music, dance and circus art to around a thousand students of fifty nationalities. The history of music and dance education at Codarts started in the 1930s (with the ‘Rotterdam Conservatory’ and ‘Rotterdam Dance Academy’); our circus art programme was the first of its kind in the Netherlands when it started in 2006. Codarts has a very good reputation both in the Netherlands and abroad. Young people from all over the world come to Rotterdam to develop their talents. We have earned this reputation by providing top quality education in a wide range of study programmes.
There is no other institute with such a diversity of music genres anywhere else in the world—from classical music to pop and from Argentine tango to Indian music. In the field of contemporary dance, Codarts is leading in Europe. The circus art programme, although operating for only ten years, has already produced a number of alumni who are now working with major international companies.
Codarts is firmly rooted in Rotterdam and takes part in numerous collaborations in the city in the field of education and culture. Codarts students and alumni can be seen on all stages and in all venues of Rotterdam.
Stichting Friends of Codarts
The Stichting Friends of Codarts is a cultural ANBI*. Its aim is to support Codarts students of all study programmes through, for example, financially supporting masterclasses and special music, dance and circus productions. In addition, by making available awards for extraordinary artistic achievements and financially supporting outstanding talents who would otherwise not be able to continue their studies.
Also, the Friends of Codarts give structural financial support to:
- Talent Investment Grants (scholarships of €2,000 for especially talented second-, third- and/or fourth-year students of the Bachelor programmes;
- Stipends (for recently graduated, excellent students, for instance to help them with an additional study programme.
- Annual competitions: the Erasmus Jazz Award and the Grand Chamber Music Award.
Would you also like to become a Friend? Or receive more information?
In that case, please contact Friends Officer Monica van Steen at email@example.com or call her at +31 (0) 06-52045092. We’d love to welcome you!
The Stichting Friends of Codarts’ board consists of:
- Lex van Deudekom, chairman;
- Luc Beurskens, treasurer;
- Janneke Slokkers, board member;
- Eric van Abbe, board member.
All board members are unsalaried.
Codarts’ recommending committee consists of:
- Ahmed Aboutaleb, Mayor of Rotterdam;
- Jan Kooijman, actor, presenter and dancer; Codarts alumnus;
- Carel Kraayenhof, bandoneon player/composer;
- Frans Lavooij, former chair of the Chamber of Commerce Rotterdam;
- Jan Willem Luyken, director North Sea Jazz Festival;
- Pauline van der Meer Mohr, chair supervisory board EY; former chair of the Board of Directors of Erasmus University Rotterdam;
- Karel de Rooij, theatre maker/director;
- George Wiegel, director Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra.
What can you expect from us in return?
Option 1: Friend of Codarts (€50 a year)
- Free admission to concerts and performances at all three Codarts locations (Kruisplein 26, WMDC, Fenixloods II)
- Information about Codarts activities and events
Option 2: Friend of Codarts plus Partner (€70 a year)
Identical to option 1, for two people.
Option 3: Generous Friend (€200 a year)
Identical to option 1, plus:
- free admission to two Codarts performances per school year/season in the Doelen.
Option 4: Generous Friend plus Partner (€200 a year)
Identical to option 3, for two people.
* ANBI = Algemeen Nut Beogende Instelling. Donations to causes acknowledged as ANBI are tax-deductible (under certain conditions) and donations to a cultural ANBI are even extra deductible.
Stichting Friends of Codarts
c/o Kruisplein 26
3012 CC Rotterdam
Fiscal number: 96.14.849