- Good technical and musical skills on the instrument
- Coordination exercises, sight-reading exercises and a short snare drums piece of your choice
- Son montuma, danzon, cha cha, songo, Mozambique, 12/8
- Cascara and fundamental bell rides combined with the drum kit
- Samba, Partido alto, bossa nova, baiao
- Change smoothly between some of the rhythms mentioned above
- Improvisations in a medium tempo over a montuno
- Improvisation, variations while playing samba
You have to show solid timing, groove and the ability to play ‘in clave’. Identify and feel the direction of the groove.
If possible, you will play with your own band. Some of the genres/rhythms mentioned above have to be presented. You will have to prepare three ensemble pieces of which two will be chosen by the committee.
Latin Music Theory
Part of your audition also consists of Latin Music Theory