Codarts Virtuoso: the first postmaster study programme in the Netherlands for excellent classical musicians.
Exceptional top musicians of the 21st century operate in a market that continually asks more of them. Over the past few decades, competition in this highly globalised market has increased tremendously and the overall level is very high. It is one of the reasons why up-and-coming artists find it even more difficult to break through and secure a livelihood as a professional musician. Nowadays, especially classical music is a discipline in which performers must have various competences if they are to succeed.
Codarts Virtuoso provides an answer to this. It is a new two-year programme, unique to the Netherlands, intended for four outstanding conservatory students of classical music who wish to increase their chances in the international market. Only the very best students are eligible for admission. The study programme will motivate these students to explore and push back their own frontiers. It is modelled after international examples such as the Curtis Institute and the Reina Sofia School in Madrid with the renowned alumni pianist Lang Lang and violinist Vadim Repin.
Codarts Virtuoso’s unique programme includes:
- Master classes on a regular basis by violinists Igor Gruppman (concertmaster of the Rotterdam Philharmonic Orchestra), Vesna Gruppman (violin and viola), master pianist Jean Bernard Pommier and master cello player Herre-Jan Stegenga.
- Occasional master classes and collaborative concerts. Recently, the Codarts Virtuoso piano trio already performed in a joint programme with the world-famous Schubert Ensemble London.
- Workshops where students learn to better present themselves and optimise their networking skills.
- Made-to-measure workshops about the business side of the profession.
- Opportunities to perform as a soloist with the Sinfonia Rotterdam orchestra.
- Making recordings with professional studio technicians.
In short, the programme features all the elements needed to pursue an international career as a top musician.
Codarts Virtuoso is made possible through the support of Stichting Bevordering van Volkskracht, NORMA-FONDS, Erasmusstichting, Van der Mandele Stichting, Stichting H. Muller’s Vaderlandsch Fonds, Van Cappellen Stichting, G. Ph. Verhagen-Stichting, Secretariaat Stichting Zabawas, Vrienden van Codarts en van Codarts Rotterdam.